Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tiger Woods to make comeback at Master

Tiger Woods to make comeback at Master

Tiger Woods will make his comeback next month at the Masters, the opening major championship of the season.

The world No 1, who has not played since it emerged in November that he had conducted a series of extra-marital affairs, said he was ready to end his self-imposed exile but had work to do on his private life.

The American, 34, has spent much of his time out in therapy - said to be for a sex addiction - while also attempting to repair the damage to his six-year marriage to Elin Nordegren, with whom he has two young children.

Announcing his comeback via a statement, Woods said: "The Masters is where I won my first major, and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I'm ready to start my season at Augusta.

"The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been a while since I last played.

"I have undergone almost two months of in-patient therapy and I am continuing my treatment. Although I'm returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life."

Woods has a superb record at the Masters, which takes place between April 8-11 at Augusta National in Georgia. He won his first tournament there in 1997 and has claimed the title on three subsequent occassions, most recently in 2005.

However, rumours at the weekend suggesting that he was about to make his announcement prompted a mixed response from players and officials. Steve Stricker, the world No 2, said: "I don't know if Augusta would like that to happen, you know? To turn it into 'Tiger's comeback tournament' instead of the Masters tournament."

However, Tim Finchem, the American Tour commissioner, insisted Woods would be welcomed on his return. "I'm as excited as everybody else to see him back," he said. "Everybody's done looking back at the circumstances that resulted in him stepping away from the game."

Woods last played on November 15, winning the Australian Masters in Melbourne, his 92nd title victory.