Sunday, May 10, 2009

how to make french toast

how to make french toast

The sun rose on a cloudless, cool morning in Central Illinois. I brewed some coffee and pulled one of the weathered Adirondack chairs fo face east... waiting for Mom to get up. My dog, Spyke, stalked an unseen critter rummaging in the thick ivy by the side wall and birds twittered in the trees.

It wasn't long before I heard the screen door creak open and Mom strolled over to join me. We sat and enjoyed the dew on the grass marveling at the one glistening drop clinging to the top of nearly every blade.

We laughed as Spyke tilted his head from side to side, impossibly large ears keenly atuned to his prey... we never learned the identity of the critter but that wasn't the point. The point is spending time with loved ones and enjoying the bounty in small things.

I have been richly blessed with parents that are fabulous.

I've been blessed with the best parents I know. However, today is the day we honor and express gratitude for our mothers.